Adopting A Dog or Puppy
We want to help you find the perfect dog for you. We will encourage you to spend a lot of time with your potential new pet and require that you spend at least 30 minutes with a pet before filling out an application. Only complete an adoption application online if we are only ACCEPTING applications at the time for the animal you are interested in adopting. Otherwise, animals are first come first adopt to approved applications in shelter.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the dog you want to adopt.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Preference will be given to applicants who live in the Columbus area.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- An AAR-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally recommended for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. This fee includes:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- First or more vaccinations
- First or more deworming treatment
- Personality evaluation
- Note: sometimes adoption fees will be higher if a puppy/dog had a lot of medical costs.
All dogs must leave on a leash and collar. These items can be purchased at the shelter or you may bring your own.
- Solid color leash and collar sets $15/set.
- Pattern leashes and collars are individually priced.