Adopting a dog or cat
We want to help you find the perfect dog for you. We will encourage you to spend a lot of time with your potential new pet and require that you spend at least 30 minutes with a pet before filling out an application. We reserve the right to refuse any applicant. We do not approve adoptions on a first come first serve basis and applications are approved on where with think our pets fit the best.
Animal Ark Rescue is a non-profit 501(c)3. All donations and adoption fees are used toward the care of all the dogs and cats in our care. In most cases, the adoption fees we collect do not cover the medical needs of our charges, so donations are always welcome.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the dog you want to adopt.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Preference will be given to applicants who live in the Columbus area.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- An AAR-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally recommended for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. This fee includes:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- First or more vaccinations
- First or more deworming treatment
- Personality evaluation
- Note: sometimes adoption fees will be higher if a puppy/dog had a lot of medical costs.
Adoption Fees are as follows:
Kittens: Start at $75
Puppies: Start at $195
Most Large Mixed Breed Dogs: Start at $75
Small breed dogs: Start at $150
Adoption fees vary so ask at the front desk to find out the specific fee on the animal you wish to adopt. The fees listed above are our normal fees. We do have adoption specials from time to time so fees may be different than listed above. *Fees subject to change without notice
All dogs must leave on a leash and collar and all cats must leave in a carrier. These items can be purchased at the shelter or you may bring your own.
- Solid color leash and collar sets $15/set.
- Pattern leashes and collars are individually priced.
- We also have harnesses available for purchase.
- Cats carriers are available for $7.