Adopting A Dog or Puppy
We want to help you find the perfect dog for you. We will encourage you to spend a lot of time with your potential new pet and require that you spend at least 30 minutes with a pet before filling out an application. Do NOT complete the online application.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the dog you want to adopt.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Preference will be given to applicants who live in the Columbus area.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- An AAR-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally recommended for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. This fee includes:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- First or more vaccinations
- First or more deworming treatment
- Personality evaluation
- Note: sometimes adoption fees will be higher if a puppy/dog had a lot of medical costs.
All dogs must leave on a leash and collar. These items can be purchased at the shelter or you may bring your own.
- Solid color leash and collar sets $15/set.
- Pattern leashes and collars are individually priced.